Friday, March 19, 2010

My son, the drama queen

I’m not surprised. I’m glad, actually, that my son is turning into a very social little boy. I’m also not surprised that along with his social skills, Liam has a flair for the...dramatic.

He can’t help it with parents who act out scenes from Mary Poppins or play YouTube videos of My Little Ponies singing “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” to try to make him laugh. He’s been onstage three times now…once in the womb (I was playing a virgin...oh the magic of theatre and a good costume designer!) My point? It’s in his blood.

I was surprised, however, with how quickly it all took effect. This morning my son didn’t want to get dressed. Specifically, he didn’t want to put on pants. We explained to him that pants were a necessary part of leaving the house...no dice. We tried everything…distraction, bribery, you name it. It escalated into a full on tantrum…”I WAN’T TO GO TO NANA’S!” he screamed. He was certain that Nana wouldn’t possibly do this to him.

Then...as he was crying (my husband and I were laughing) that little over dramatic child was watching himself cry in the mirror...experimenting with different facial expressions and pitches of crying. Sigh. And so it begins.

Maybe someday, when he’s accepting his Oscar, he will thank his parents for making him wear pants.

We have no idea where he gets it from.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Literally spewed my coffee once I srolled to see the picture. LOVE it.

Post a Comment