Thursday, April 29, 2010

"OMG, you guys, it's Thomas!"

This past weekend we took our son on a pilgrimage to Greenfield Village. Don't be too impressed with my son's excitement for turn of the 20th century American history...we were there for one reason, and one reason only. T-H-O-M-A-S!!

I have to admit, I love me some Thomas the Tank Engine. I think it's by far the most sophisticated children's program and it has fantabulous morals. When I use the TV to babysit my son (come on, everyone does it, don't pretend) I know I can pop on a Thomas DVD and have no worries. It sure beats the pants off having to explain why Max and Ruby don't have any parents.

Anyway, major kudos goes to whoever thought up the idea of creating a real-life Thomas engine and touring him around to all of the heritage railways around the country. "Day Out With Thomas" is well worth the money for any choo choo-holic.

Even though we had chilly and damp weather, no one could have rained on Liam's parade as we walked into Greenfield Village to see THE REAL THOMAS pass by on the tracks. We stopped by the carousel where they let Liam ring the bell, we got our picture taken in front of the hat shop, we saw the glass blowers, listened to a banjo, and then we got in line to board the train. The train ride itself was a tolerable 20 minutes long, blaring familiar Thomas songs as it went all the way around the village.

Nothing is as thrilling as a parent to see your child full of excitement. I heard one little boy exclaim, "Mommy! This is the best day of my life!" I remember saying the same thing to my parents as we stood outside the gates of the Magic Kingdom when I was three. Music to Mommy and Daddy's ears.




















As a side note, the people of Greenfield Village were exceedingly courteous and accommodating. The grounds were immaculate and beautiful, the food, carousel rides, and Model T passes were inexpensive, and there was enough there to have kept Liam interested even without you-know-who. We plan to head back this summer during our staycation (more on that in a later blog) when we have nicer weather.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

1) Love that you called it a 'pilgrimage.'

2) Let me know when you plan your staycation - we could meet up at the Zoo for a day of shenanigans!

Post a Comment