Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Communications Major walks into a bar...

The bar is empty. When the woman goes up to the bar and asks the bartender why the bar is empty, the man behind the counter briefly looks up from his iPhone and says "Ma'am, everyone is at home, sending each other cocktails on facebook!"

Of course, we all know that blogs, texts, e-mails, and the like have created a huge impact on the way we "talk" to one another, but I didn't realize how far it had gone.

I was making mini cupcakes for my son's preschool class for Valentine's Day. I thought "I'll ice them and then put a cute little 'conversation heart' on top of each one!" I knew I'd have to sort through the bag of Sweethearts in order to weed out the ones that said "kiss me" or "marry me" (there were TONS of "Marry Me"s! Please, men, DO NOT propose with a Necco product!) but I was amazed at how many of them were not fit for pre-schoolers!

Then, I saw one that made me laugh and cry at the same time. Take a look at the photo below.



That's right folks! If you really want to impress your Valentine this year give them a conversation heart that says: TWEET ME!!!! Sigh. Has it really come to this? In order to have a romantic relationship with someone we encourage them to express their love and everlasting devotion on the Internet in 160 characters or less?! Pathetic.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a card for my hubby that says "I knew I loved you after the first time we IM-ed on AOL." At least there were no character limits back in the 90s. :)




These are the sorted hearts. The small container holds 18 hearts with sayings fit for pre-schoolers (sweet heart, angel, too cute, etc). The larger container holds the remainder that are too explicit for a 3 year old. :)

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, my friend! :)

...in other news, Joe and I went to see The Wizard of Oz on tour @ the Fischer Theatre last weekend. Seriously...we should have gone on tour.

Post a Comment