Monday, February 22, 2010

A mommy's purse is a magical place...

My purse is a catch all for life. It makes me more equipped to face the world. Kid's got a runny nose? Here sonny, the corner of this tissue hasn't been used! Forgot to grab a mid-morning snack? How 'bout a mint-flavored toothpick to tide you over! Child is whining through church? Look, a book/truck/dinosaur! All from the magical purse. Having a well-stocked purse makes me a good mom...and a wife.

A wife's purse is not only a catch all for her things, but for her husband's as well. (Everyone knows a man cannot be caught carrying a satchel of their personal belongings.) This is how the conversation goes on the way into the mall:

"Hey honey, would you mind putting my keys in your purse?"

"Why don't you put them in your pocket?"

"Because they poke me in the leg"

.... five minutes later....

"Hey honey, would you mind putting my chapstick in your purse?"

"Why don't you put it in your pocket?"

"Cuz I'll forget it's there and it'll go through the washer."

And so it goes until all of his belongings are in your purse, that is, until you leave the mall and he wants them all back. I think my husband is secretly JEALOUS of my purse, as well he should be.

My purse is a mask that protects me from judgement. On the outside it's so pretty! Just zip it up and you look like you've got it together! It's an accessory! A fashion item! You can pretend that you barely use it other than to hold your lipstick! But if someone other than the purse's owner starts to dig through, you learn things...scary things. You start to realize that this pretty little purse is hiding things from you! It's no wonder we're afraid to let anyone rifle through them.

In order to cleanse myself of the fear, I've decided to post a picture of my purse...fully exposed. I know I'll be judged. I don't care. Because some day I'll win a lot of money on Let's Make a Deal.




Yes, that's a banana, Goldfish crackers, "Pat the Bunny" and shoe polish...I don't know why the shoe polish is there.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

AMEN, Em! I give you props for even daring to carry a cute purse! I've totally given up and everything gets pitched into the diaperbag/backpack which isn't pretty either (but doesn't contain shoe polish, admittedly!) Love your blog!

Post a Comment